Home e-Manual

OpenCM9.04 and XL-320 motors not working

Hello, I’m trying to make a 2-axis system using the parts listed below, but I’m struggling to get it off the ground. I have

• 2x XL-320 motors
  • OpenCM9.04 board, connected to PC via USB
  • Arduino IDE v1.8.13
  • OpenCM9.04 boards package v1.5.1
  • Dynamixel2Arduino library v0.5.1
  • no external power supply

I can’t seem to connect anything - the “scan_dynamixel” example says 0 dyanmixels found, and none of the other examples appear to function at all.

I’m unclear on the significance of the 4 different connectors on the board (labelled X1, X2, X3, and X4TTL), but have tried the scan example with each of them.

Worth noting that I have seen both motors run with this board using the OpenCM software and no external supply (but I believe I can’t use this moving forward as it doesn’t support multiple motors).

Please help me turn this on? Thanks!

1 Like

Have you tried connecting a power source? As mentioned here you will not be able to move the servos without:

I power mine with a pair of JST PH 2.0 2-pin pig tails, from which I have removed one red and one black cable so it matches the series connected layout of the power plug (for schematics of the power port, see the eManual linked above):

In addition you should consider setting individual ID’s for the servos to move them independently.

1 Like

Hello @seansies, Welcome to this community although we have few people really playing around in this community. I am trying to energize this community to be grown up with my little knowledge.

#1 What WaldoPepper suggested is also very worthy of attemption.

#2. CHECK POTION OF Conditional-compilation DIRECTIVE. As the OpenCM 9.04 uses differnt Serial port, you have to compile the code with Serial1 for DXL_SERIAL otherwise the DYNAMIXEL will not get the packet from the serial port properly.

For you, the below preprocessor may work with OpenCM 9.04 standalone.

• Replace the portion of “if” conditional directive with the below code
#define DXL_SERIAL   Serial1 //OpenCM9.04 EXP Board's DXL port Serial. (Serial1 for the DXL port on the OpenCM 9.04 board)
#define DEBUG_SERIAL Serial
const uint8_t DXL_DIR_PIN = 22; //OpenCM9.04 EXP Board's DIR PIN. (28 for the DXL port on the OpenCM 9.04 board)

Hi @Yogurt_Man and @WaldoPepper , thanks for responding!

I tried connecting my OpenCR9.04 to a 7.4V supply as in the image you sent but no change… I also read through the “id” example but I don’t think I can set any IDs without first having them recognized.

I did also set the preprocessor lines in the scan example (and others) as you suggested @Yogurt_Man (will paste that example to confirm I understood) but again no change.

Any other ideas? May post to the arduino forum too perhaps.

Thanks again,
Sean

/*******************************************************************************
* Copyright 2016 ROBOTIS CO., LTD.
* Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
* you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
* You may obtain a copy of the License at
*     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
* Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
* distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
* WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
* See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
* limitations under the License.
*******************************************************************************/

#include <Dynamixel2Arduino.h>

// Please modify it to suit your hardware.
//#if defined(ARDUINO_AVR_UNO) || defined(ARDUINO_AVR_MEGA2560) // When using DynamixelShield
//  #include <SoftwareSerial.h>
//  SoftwareSerial soft_serial(7, 8); // DYNAMIXELShield UART RX/TX
//  #define DXL_SERIAL   Serial
//  #define DEBUG_SERIAL soft_serial
//  const uint8_t DXL_DIR_PIN = 2; // DYNAMIXEL Shield DIR PIN
//#elif defined(ARDUINO_SAM_DUE) // When using DynamixelShield
//  #define DXL_SERIAL   Serial
//  #define DEBUG_SERIAL SerialUSB
//#elif defined(ARDUINO_SAM_ZERO) // When using DynamixelShield
//  #define DXL_SERIAL   Serial1
//  #define DEBUG_SERIAL SerialUSB
//#elif defined(ARDUINO_OpenCM904) // When using official ROBOTIS board with DXL circuit.
//  #define DXL_SERIAL   Serial3 //OpenCM9.04 EXP Board's DXL port Serial. (Serial1 for the DXL port on the OpenCM 9.04 board)
//  #define DEBUG_SERIAL Serial
//  const uint8_t DXL_DIR_PIN = 22; //OpenCM9.04 EXP Board's DIR PIN. (28 for the DXL port on the OpenCM 9.04 board)
//#elif defined(ARDUINO_OpenCR) // When using official ROBOTIS board with DXL circuit.
//  // For OpenCR, there is a DXL Power Enable pin, so you must initialize and control it.
//  // Reference link : https://github.com/ROBOTIS-GIT/OpenCR/blob/master/arduino/opencr_arduino/opencr/libraries/DynamixelSDK/src/dynamixel_sdk/port_handler_arduino.cpp#L78
//  #define DXL_SERIAL   Serial3
//  const uint8_t DXL_DIR_PIN = 84; // OpenCR Board's DIR PIN.    
//#else // Other boards when using DynamixelShield
//  #define DXL_SERIAL   Serial1
//#endif

#define DXL_SERIAL   Serial1 //OpenCM9.04 EXP Board's DXL port Serial. (Serial1 for the DXL port on the OpenCM 9.04 board)
#define DEBUG_SERIAL Serial
const uint8_t DXL_DIR_PIN = 22; //OpenCM9.04 EXP Board's DIR PIN. (28 for the DXL port on the OpenCM 9.04 board)

#define MAX_BAUD  5
const int32_t buad[MAX_BAUD] = {57600, 115200, 1000000, 2000000, 3000000};

Dynamixel2Arduino dxl(DXL_SERIAL, DXL_DIR_PIN);

//This namespace is required to use Control table item names
using namespace ControlTableItem;

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
  int8_t index = 0;
  int8_t found_dynamixel = 0;

// Use UART port of DYNAMIXEL Shield to debug.
  DEBUG_SERIAL.begin(115200);   //set debugging port baudrate to 115200bps
  while(!DEBUG_SERIAL);         //Wait until the serial port is opened

for(int8_t protocol = 1; protocol < 3; protocol++) {
    // Set Port Protocol Version. This has to match with DYNAMIXEL protocol version.
    dxl.setPortProtocolVersion((float)protocol);
    DEBUG_SERIAL.print("SCAN PROTOCOL ");
    DEBUG_SERIAL.println(protocol);

for(index = 0; index < MAX_BAUD; index++) {
      // Set Port baudrate.
      DEBUG_SERIAL.print("SCAN BAUDRATE ");
      DEBUG_SERIAL.println(buad[index]);
      dxl.begin(buad[index]);
      for(int id = 0; id < DXL_BROADCAST_ID; id++) {
        //iterate until all ID in each buadrate is scanned.
        if(dxl.ping(id)) {
          DEBUG_SERIAL.print("ID : ");
          DEBUG_SERIAL.print(id);
          DEBUG_SERIAL.print(", Model Number: ");
          DEBUG_SERIAL.println(dxl.getModelNumber(id));
          found_dynamixel++;
        }
      }
    }
  }

DEBUG_SERIAL.print("Total ");
  DEBUG_SERIAL.print(found_dynamixel);
  DEBUG_SERIAL.println(" DYNAMIXEL(s) found!");
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
}

Have your tried using 28 for the DXL_DIR_PIN pin (instead of 22, since you are obviously not using an EXP board)?

@seansies

Oh… I forgot to change the DIR pin. Thank @WaldoPepper for pointing it out.

Finally back at my desk and changing the DXL_DIR_PIN along with the other preprocessor changes sorted it!

I’ll move on to the real project and update further. For now, I also noticed that in the other examples I tried, the baudrate for the motor serial was set in the code at 57600, but my motor was at 1Mbs- so all the position, etc examples wouldn’t run until I changed that.

1 Like

To summarize for future people like me:

• the preprocessor lines in the examples seem to be unusable - for using the OpenCM9.04 board I replaced them with:
const uint8_t DXL_DIR_PIN = 28; //OpenCM9.04 EXP Board's DIR PIN. (28 for the DXL port on the OpenCM 9.04 board)
  • the default baud rate of an XL-320 is 1Mbps, but the examples all assumed it was 57600 (might apply for a different motor)
  • while the motors do move without external power supplied, the performance appears much better with 7.4 supplied as @WaldoPepper suggested

Thanks again

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing your full project :slight_smile: