Classroom use of the Dream II Level 1 Kit

My school doesn’t have a robotics program. Many of my students have never used robotics materials, but I wanted to challenge them to construct a motorized robot, using the Robotis Dream II Level 1 kit. When I introduced the project, some students seemed apprehensive, and others were gung ho. This project pushed some students outside of their comfort zones. I heard a few students say, “I don’t know how to build a robot.” But, by the end of the activity, all of my students were smiling, having fun, and were building their own motorized robots!

Any lingering apprehension eased with the first whir of a motor running, which made students delve into their projects even more. Students rushed to get their device to the stage where they could connect the battery pack and switch to the motor, so they too could see their robot coming to life.

Students who had no prior experience in building, engineering, or robotics, were surprised to see that the Dream kit had a book of ideas - a book of 12 robotic dreams that could be created by using the materials provided - assorted plates, rivets, motor, battery pack, and switch. Students took time in selecting which robot they wanted to build, based on what type of movement they wanted the robot to have. Some students picked a dinosaur (because dinosaurs are awesome), while others selected a windmill, duck, ladybug, or cow.

The individual robots were easy to construct; students followed the step by step instructions. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the instructions relied mostly on images, making it easy for students to follow. This is also perfect for English Language Learners (ELL), because the activity isn’t hindered by potential language barriers.

After constructing their robots, I noticed that students were beginning to ask questions. They were asking about making modifications to their device. I overheard one student ask, “What if the dinosaur was wearing skis?” This provided the perfect opportunity for students to manipulate variables. They knew how the motorized robot moved, based on constructing the device per the instructions. Now, students could experiment by changing the base structure.

In fact, the dinosaur did end up wearing skis. It also ended up with a longer tail for counterbalance, and for some reason had a duck’s head by the end of the activity. The Dream II kit provided students with the ability to increase their confidence and self-efficacy in terms of robotics and engineering skills and activities.

This kit was perfect for my high school students, but could easily be used by students of different ages. These robots can easily be incorporated into any curriculum. Students can write a creative story involving their robot, calculate speed and velocity of movement, or explore the habitat in which their robotic animal might live. The possibilities are limitless!

Tips:

• Charge the batteries for students ahead of time
  • Don’t spill the rivets.
  • If the rivet gets stuck in the plate, use the fastener removal tool
  • If the parts of the rivet fastening system get stuck together, the rivet can still be used. Simply lift the head of the push pin section before trying to reuse it
  • The switch provides a forward, backward, and off option
5 Likes

Wow. Thank you @owensscience for the great tips and sharing of your teaching experience. I like the statement “This project pushed some students outside of their comfort zones.” I was also surprised that High School students can also enjoy learning and building robots through the #DREAM-II. Keep us in the loop with your progress. Thank you

1 Like

Hi @owensscience, welcome to the Community Page and it’s great to hear about your experiences in the classroom with the DREAM II Level 1 kit! I love hearing about the modifications and creativity the exercise helped inspire as well- picturing the dinosaur with skis and duckbill sounds fantastic.

I highly agree with the tips as well- those are hugely helpful notes for newcomers to the kit.

If you or any of your students from the workshop become interested in exploring making their own basic programs, our ROBOTIS Customer Support YouTube channel also has a playlist that demonstrates basic programming functions of our R+ Task 3.0 educational programming software here.
We look forward to hearing from you again!

2 Likes

Hello @owensscience,
If you and your students want to use Python (and other computer languages) with the Dream System, you can also try the Edbot Dream software tool (http://ed.bot/edbotdream). You can buy the software install key (per robot) at the USA Robotis Shop (https://www.robotis.us/edbot-software-product-key-dream/).

1 Like

It is fascinating to hear how your students are responding to the Dream Series robots. I really feel it is really important for younger kids in our generation to challenge themselves and try out new endeavors. Another great point you’ve mentioned is the basic & simple language instructions with images, which makes it user friendly for anybody who’s native language is not English. Anyone can see that the benefits does not only involve the physical building of a robot, but the mental building of a human mind! I hope you continue to teach your students and they should take pride they have an awesome teacher.

2 Likes