Open Source Gripper Project

IMG_6052

Use the following template to help create your post:

1.MX-28R or MX-28T

1. Describe your control environment. Arduino Due & Mega, Dynamixel Shield

2. Specify the operating mode for applicable models, and any firmware settings you are using. v2 protocol

3. Include pictures if possible.

4. Include a full description of the issue.

I have an open source gripper that uses an MX-28R or T servo with a Dynamixel Shield mounted on an Arduino Due or Mega.

I’d like to tell the servo to turn until a certain force of grip is met. I’ve looked at current and load in the Dynamixel Library, but really haven’t figured out a way to sense how much force is being applied to the servo.

Can you please point me in the right direction as to what library methods could be used to sense the amount of force or torque being applied?

Thanks,
Joe

1 Like

Hi, @jcoahran

This is great to see your gripper with one joint. It looks amazing. (Although I reply to you late, I would like to add my opinion in this ticket.)

You can read a computed load on the DYNAMIXEL with Present Load (40)

To use as a code in Arduino, Use a provided example by ROBOTIS and optimize it accordingly. See here

• I would like to see the gripper in motion. Can you share it in your next post?

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I was successfully able to read the load for my gripper. Short video. Thanks!
ezgif.com-gif-maker

2 Likes

Awesome, and another proof that 3D printing combined with electronics rocks…! :wink:

1 Like