LEONARDO - Turtlebot3 (Waffle Pi) Upgrade Kit

LEONARDO - Turtlebot3 (Waffle Pi) Upgrade Kit

A 3D printable, open-source upgrade kit for the Turtlebot3 Waffle Pi.

Hello all! I am posting to share with you a project I have been working on for quite some time, that is, my Leonardo upgrade kit for the Turtlebot3 Waffle Pi!

As an educator who uses the Turtlebot3 platform for both teaching and research, I developed this upgrade kit out of both necessity and pure excitement for the Turtlebot3 platform. It has proven to be a very useful upgrade, and so I thought I would share it with the community!

I have created a GitHub repository for the project which contains all of the information one would need to upgrade their own robot or start their own project based on the design! The kit overview section below will give you a brief idea of the kit, but if you want the full details you should check out the GitHub link to the project!

If you’d like to see more maker projects and shop life, follow me on Instagram:

@travisguy.exe

Happy building!

Kit Overview

The Leonardo upgrade kit is intended to increase the overall modularity and usability of the Turtlebot3. This is a valuable upgrade for anyone looking to improve the physical user-friendliness, durability and modularity of their Turtlebot3 unit. The following list outlines the key features of the Leonardo Kit.

Kit Features:

• Enclosures: Fully 3D printable enclosures for both the Turtlebot3’s Raspberry Pi and OpenCR boards, with solid mounting points.
  • Solid LIDAR Mount: A 3D printable solid mount for the LDS-01 LIDAR unit.
  • Improved User Experience Careful consideration was made to relocate both the Raspberry Pi and OpenCR boards to make their ports more easily accessible. This combined with their solid mount points makes connecting peripherals and interfacing with the robot much easier than on the standard model.
  • Improved Modularity: The Leonardo upgrade kit reimagines the construction of the Turtelbot3’s waffle plate frame, allowing it to be segmented and customized without altering the original footprint or waffle plate pattern of the robot. This feature allows access to the large amounts of free space within the Turtlebot3 frame so you can easily add your own modifications.

Creative Commons Licence LEONARDO - Turtlebot3 Waffle Pi Upgrade Kit by Travis Guy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

13 Likes