Connecting Dynamixels MX106R with PH42-020: voltage compatibility

Hello Robotis community,

I am using PH42-020 and MX106R with Protocol 2 firmware.
I am attempting to daisy chain both motors using U2D2 on the U2D2 power board. The connection would be:

U2D2 --(1)–> PH42-010 --(2)–> MX106R

connection --(1)–> will be using the JST 4 pin connecting cable
and connection --(2)–> will be using the JST to Molex converting cable

I need a bit of advice on how I can power PH42-020 with 24V and MX106R with 12V. Could I just intercept pin1 and pin2 in connection --(2)–> with a 24V-12V voltage converter? Or is there any better ways to do this? Thanks so much.

Best
Iman

Thanks so much

Ok I will give my thoughts.

If you need 2 different voltages on your system (3 in fact as you have your micro controller too) then there is a couple of options.

1. as you suggested you use a voltage converter (buck converter) to change your voltage. You will need to make sure your buck converter can handle the amps you need to supply.

2. have more than 1 power supply, not sure how your powering this system, battery or mains. If you use more than 1 power supply then you will need a common ground.

3. choose dynamixels that all run off the same voltage. Best choice as then you don’t have to contend with different voltage supplies.

The dynamixels have 3 wires, 1 data line, power line and a ground line. The data line will communicate on 3.3v then power line voltage will depend upon the needs of the selected dynamixel then the ground will be common to everything.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Youre right, there would be three. But I might go for option 1. So I need to confirm, I could just buck the voltage at pin1 and pin2 between the two motors right (at connection --(2)–>) ?

1 Like

I would assume you can put a buck converter between the 2 motors on the power lines and it should work. The buck converter will need both ground and power to go through it and you will need to choose a buck converter that can handle the amps as well as the needed input and output voltages.

2 Likes